It is with much sadness that we announce the cancellation of our 2020 Summer Camps due to COVID-19.
With over 120 registrations, we were overwhelmed at the interest in our program and excited for 5 weeks of sold-out camps, filled with large groups, complex routines, skill progression and new friendships.
Unfortunately, there are three major barriers which currently prevent Muskoka Elite from offering its Summer Camps:
1. Physical Distancing. Cheerleading by its very nature is a high-contact sport. While the Ontario Government is slowly lifting restrictions for businesses, it will not be safe to return to high-contact sport for quite some time. Cheerleading is not possible with physical distancing protocols in place.
2. Coaching Staff. Muskoka Elite was excited to have a very experienced and talented guest coach scheduled to join us for the summer from Australia to assist with summer camps. Coach Abbey was set to be a central feature of our summer program and she was contracted to work next to Coach Tony to help offer quality instruction and the very best cheer camps possible. However, with both the Canadian and Australia borders closed, her trip has been cancelled. Securing a replacement in the current climate is tenuous at best.
3. Rotary Centre. Muskoka Elite signed a lease agreement with the Rotary Centre for Youth to use that space for our summer camps. In March, the Ministry of Health took over the space to set up a COVID-19 testing centre. The Centre has confirmed they have no timeline for when the facility will become available for our use.
Given these and other barriers, Muskoka Elite will not run its summer camps in 2020.
The government shut down has taken its toll on our economy and on local businesses. While Muskoka Elite is weathering these challenges reasonably well, cancelling our summer camps represents an additional loss of revenue during a challenging period with no cash flow.
With regards to compensation, we are committed to treating our families fairly and doing what is right. Customers have three options to choose from regarding their registration fees:
1. Account Credit. By default, all camp fees will be credited back to family accounts for future use. Credits will be held for 18 months and can be used towards any Muskoka Elite product or program, including summer camps in 2021. If this is your preference, no further action is required.
2. Donation. If you feel Muskoka Elite brings value to the community and would like to make a contribution to the program to help ensure its longevity during this challenging period, please complete this form to indicate as such. Your account will be left at a zero balance in good standing. Given the current economic climate, kindness of this sort is certainly not expected from families who are likely struggling themselves but is welcome and greatly appreciated from those who have the means and are so inclined.
3. Refund. Muskoka Elite will refund camp fees at families' requests. Refunds will be processed when we reopen and our finances become cash flow positive. Families are advised that this could be as late as September or October of this year. Families may choose this option by completing this form. We thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.
If Option 1 is your preference, no further action is required.
If Options 2 or 3 suit you best, please complete this form.
Please reach out to Tony Bentley with your questions at any time:
Thank you and we look forward to seeing everyone again soon!